- Have you seen the Clubroom site lately? Things are moving quickly at this stage, the excavation and peg out stages are progressing well. The old building has been completely removed. The builder really didn’t need the weekend rain though! Soon the underground services (electric, gas, plumbing etc) will be roughed in and the next step will be to pour foundations. The project is progressing really well and is a credit to Robbie Bayliss, Randle Pye and the Wandin Community Recreation Association team.
- Goal posts: The Club has spoken to Yarra Ranges Council about getting the goal posts installed at the Wandin Nth oval. They will be installed (very soon) at the Clegg Rd end. The Wandin East oval should have the goal posts installed shortly as well. Once these are up it will benefit all the kids and families, we know how much everyone loves practising their goal kicking….and celebrating!!
- New netting: We will be putting up a new net behind the goals at the pavilion end to stop the footy’s being kicked into our neighbour’s house. This is a significant cost to both the senior and junior clubs. We are moving through council permits at this stage – hopefully we should have this completed in the near future.
- Support our local community and business: Please make sure we all support our local community and businesses as much as possible during this tough time -particularly our generous sponsors. There is a list of our sponsors on our website. Without their support we couldn’t do what we do for the kids.
- Update from AFL Outer East: Please read for the latest update to clubs from our league: “AFL Outer East remains committed to the health and wellbeing of its players, coaches, umpires, volunteers, and associated stakeholders. We are committed to return in 2020, a position strongly shared by our clubs. The long-term sustainability of all clubs remains a priority and any return will only occur if feasible for the majority of clubs. Recently a survey was sent to all Outer East Junior clubs to help gauge their views on the current situation. We received responses from 14 Junior clubs. Below is a detailed update of our position following club feedback. The AFL Outer East Commission is meeting Tuesday 28th April, where a detailed return plan will be finalised and presented to clubs for feedback on May 1st. Final announcements on season 2020 we expect following State Governments current Level 3 restriction date of May 11th . COMPETITION RETURN All Junior clubs support returning in 2020 and are in a position to do so. 72% clubs surveyed supported no or limited preseason for juniors, with a focus on returning to games the priority. Should current AFL Victoria restrictions be removed May 31st as currently is planned, a return mid-June is preferred. Our preferred return structure will be provided May 1st for club consideration and feedback, with an announcement of competition and season structures following State Governments current Level 3 restriction date of May 11th . AFL Outer East will look at a variety of measures to provide junior participants with the opportunity to play football this year, including mid-week night games in lieu of training (77% clubs supported this, with Wednesday and Friday) and lightning premierships/round robins in August September (86% clubs) if a full season cannot be played. 79% of Junior clubs have indicated that they would like a move to odd age groups in 2021, allowing players in the Under 16 and 18 age groups the opportunity to have a final year in top up age group (Under 17, 19) in 2021. Senior clubs are being consulted on this measure, with a decision announced in due course.”
- Well-being and check-in: These COVID-19 restrictions are unprecedented and affecting people in different ways. Please make sure that we are all checking in with each other and making sure everyone is okay. Wandin JFC is here to support anyone that may be struggling. Our Child Welfare Officer is Dean Hendrie, he can be contacted on CWO@wandinjfc.com.au or mobile 0402 070 003. Here are some contacts for support in our community if you feel you need some extra assistance.
– Community Health at Healesville Hospital & Yarra Valley Health is still open and taking referrals. Their GP clinic is open every day (Monday to Friday) and their after hours clinic is also still running. Most of their allied health team are using phone consultations or telehealth.
-If there is anyone that you are concerned about that is finding things very difficult in isolation they can ring up the Outer East Chat line 1800 984 825 from 10am – 1pm and 5 – 9pm for a chat. This initiative is being coordinated by the Neighbourhood/Community Houses in the Yarra Ranges.
-A 24/7 hotline is also available for people needing more support with their mental health from Beyond Blue 1800 512 348.